Re: Error handling

>While testing my new game, I have occasionally run into strange problems
>that cause Xconq to segfault.  Unfortunately, the only information that
>Xconq gives me is "Fatal error encountered. Signal 11".  As far as I can
>tell, there is no core dump, no GDL dump, nothing.
>
>Wouldn't it make sense to do at least one kind of dump (a core dump or a
>GDL dump) so that debugging is easier?  It would be especially helpful
>when bugs surface unexpectedly (i.e. when I'm not running gdb).

I usually get core dumps if it crashes under Linux. Not that I ever use
them, since I do most of my work on the Mac. I always run xconq under a
debugger, with a breakpoint in run_error(). Makes debugging easier.

I agree that better debugging support in GDL would be nice. The init
warnings are not very informative. Like when the program tells you there
was an error somewhere in lines 131-567 of module mygame.g.  It's almost
like the infamous "Error reading tcl" message :-).