Re: Error handling

>Normally, everything works without segfaults (although I experience the
>occasional GDL error when testing new/improved games), and I don't
>usually run GDB unless I'm expecting errors such as segfaults.  Maybe I
>should get into the habit of always using GDB.

That's probably a good idea if you are writing and testing a new game.
Xconq rarely crashes if the game file is OK, but certain game file errors
may cause it to segfault at some point.

If you are running a game for several hundred turns you will run into
another problem. The unit id is a short int, so you cannot have more than
32767 units in a game, ever. Furthermore, the number is cumulative, so
saving and restoring the game does not help. In fact, nothing helps, except
rewriting the kernel :-(.

Possibly, your problems could be related to unit id overflow. This actually
happened to somebody who was running the Ancient Near East game for several
weeks. It was discussed on the list last year.