Re: Static Occupant Bonuses to Attack

Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks at yahoo dot com> writes:

> The second effect, determining a unit's attributes as
> the sum of its occupants' attributes, is an attempt to
> model customized armies, wherein the player decides
> what divisions make up the army.  This would allow a
> player some flexibility in designing their army (Say
> they want it fully mechanized, or mobilized, or with
> integral air support).  The designer would only need
> to create the constituent units and then the player
> has a variety of combinations to try out.
>
> As far as I can tell, these can't quite be implemented
> within Xconq as it is.  Is it possible for me to
> define my own tables within GDL or does this need to
> be done within the code?

Well, your implementation strategy won't work, but you can do a lot
with treating armies as transports.

Something vaguely like:

(unit-type army
           (speed-min 1)
           (speed max 2)
           (speed 2)
           (capacity 7) ; 3 divisions and an integral something
           (hp 1))      ; just headquaters and the like
(unit-type infantry-division
           (hp 10))
(unit-type armor-division)
(unit-type integral-air-support)
(unit-type integral-artillery)

(define divisions (infantry-division air-support))
(define aux (integral-artillery integral-air-support))

(table unit-size-as-occupant
    (aux army 1)
    (division army 2))

(table hit-chance
   (divisions army 100) ; it's easy to beat on headquaters
   (integral-air-support infantry-division 100)
   (integral-air-support integral-air-support 50)
   (infantry-division infantry-division 50)
   ; infantry are less effective against armor
   (infantry-division armor-division 25))

(table protection
   (divisions army 0) ; an army with at least one division in it
                      ; cannot be hit (HQ protected by troops)
   (army divisions 100)) ; the divisions however, can be hit.

(table cellwide-protection-against
   ; having air support makes being hit by other air units less likely
   (integral-air-support integral-air-support 50)
)

(table speed-occupant-effect
   ; if the army isn't all armor, it's slower.
   (infantry-army infantry-division 50))

The only drawback to this method is that each division has to attack
individually, but the right effect can be built in.  If someone added
an action that caused all of a transport's occupants to attack, it'd
be just about done.

--
Eric E. Moore