Trying to run Xconq

Hi:

I just discovered Xconq, and being an avid wargamer, it looks like a
wonderful game to me. Problem is, I can't get it to run successfully on
Linux Redhat 9. I installed a rpm titled xconq-7.4.1-1.i386.rpm that is
supposed to be for Redhat Linux (I think version 7.x). Anyway, I run
Linux with a Gnome GUI, and when I search for files, it doesn't find
xconq, and when I type xconq in a terminal, I get that the file can't be
found. If I search for xconq using symbolic links, it does find the file
though.

When using the Nautilus file manager, if I double click on the xconq
file, it will start up, but when I click on New Game I get a message
that says "Error:can't read "game_index()": no such variable", and then
the game won't start.

It turns out that the rpm installed the xconq executable in /usr/games,
and the libraries in /usr/share/xconq. Is this correct? If I type
/usr/games/xconq in a terminal, I get the same result as using the
Nautilus file manager.

I also tried to compile the source. When I do this, ./configure runs
fine, but when I type 'make' I get an initial error about not finding
the file X11/Xlib.h, and then a whole string of parse and pointer errors
afterward.

So - I'm stymied!!

If anyone can point in the correct direction to get this game to run,
either how to setup what I presently have, a rpm for Redhat 9 that will
actually work, or tips on how to properly compile the program, I would
very much appreciate it. I'm looking forward to taking xconq for a spin.

Thanks

Pete Celella