Re: emblem drawing glitches on linux

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:28:35PM -0400, Eric McDonald wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Tom Lowshang wrote:
>
> > When moving a unit, I can see emblems being drawn and erased
> > in adjacent cells if at least one of those cells has not
> > been seen before.  If another unit becomes active, then the
> > emblems around first unit remain on the map.  There are
> > other cases where the emblems remain, but I can't quite
> > figured the pattern out.  I can erase the extra emblems by
> > redrawing the map, so they are really just a visual
> > nuisance.  Everything works fine otherwise.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
>   I don't think I have seen your problem on my Linux/X11
>   system.
>
>   I doubt this is the case, but: If you have the People view
>   option turned on, then emblems will be drawn demarcating
>   your country's border. Furthermore, your emblem will also be
>   placed on cells in which you have intruded into an enemy's
>   country. Does this perhaps fit the behavior you are seeing?
>
>   Eric

People view is off but the behaviour is similar in that the
emblems usually never appear in cells your have seen before.
Are you using x11 or tcl/tk interface?

A screenshot would be great right now, but changing focus on the
xconq window redraws the map and clears the errant emblems :-(
so let me try a more detailed description.

I am in the introductory game, turn 4. I move the unit 1 cell
NE, everything is ok. Turn 5, I move NE again, but now 5 emblems
appear briefly in the adjacent cells to the W, NW, NE, E, and SE
of the unit.  The emblems remain long enough to be visible, then
they are erased.  I move NE until turn 8 and the above effect
repeats each turn.  But in turn 8 the next unit is completed, so
now when I move the first unit NE again, the second unit becomes
active, and the 5 emblems remain visible around the first unit.
I move second unit NE.  Turn 9, move second unit NE again, but
no emblems appear in adjacent cells, like they did for first the
unit.  Move first unit NE, the emblems quickly appear and
disappear again.  Turn 10, unit 1 is still active so I move it
NE.  When the second unit becomes active, the 5 emblems around
the first unit are again left on the map.

Phew, that's enough I hope.  Note that was the simplest possible
example could come up with.  I played a complete introductory
game and I could tell there were more complicated patterns
occurring, so I hope the simple case is helpful.

Tom