Table: can-enter-independent

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> >> The theory behind the resupply code is that if you can enter a unit it is a
> >> friendly unit, and therefore you are treated like other occs. But to be
> >> able to enter independent units you must specify that indepside is a
> >> friendly side. If you are talking about resupply after capture of
> >> independent units, I think this makes perfect sense.
> >
> >No. I am talking about units that are allowed to enter [uncaptured]
> >independent
> >units by way of the can-enter-independent table. Specifically, my aircraft
> >types can enter independent cities and take supplies from them. I could see no
> >good rationale from allowing this. But since Xconq is used for a variety of
> >game types, I thought I would inquire.
>
> I see. Well, that falls into the same cathegory as making the indepside a
> friendly side. If the game designer thinks that you should be able to enter
> independent units, it kind of makes sense to also permit resupply from
> them. I guess your unit would count as a defending occupant in case the
> independent unit is attacked, so there is a mutual benefit.

Sounds fair. I think the semantics of this table are ambiguous enough that they
probably deserve some clarification in the documentation.

> I have never used this table myself. It seems that it is used by beirut.g
> where it refers to buildings, and for handling "side-specific" mine fields
> in the gazala game. Rather specialized applications, that is.

The effect I am trying to achieve is that of aircraft flying over independent
cities without engaging those cities. Using the 'can-enter-independent' table
allowed me to more or less achieve that effect (even though being an occupant
of the indep city is not really desirable).

My terrain-capacity-x table allows aircraft to enter a cell even if that cell
is filled to its capacity. So, I could perhaps put special entries into the
zoc-range table for cities and aircraft, but our friend, mplayer, would still
wish to flatten the cities with Bombers and Dive Bombers. Furthermore, I do
want hostile cities to exert their ZOC over the entire cell....

I am open to suggestions.

	Thanks,