Re: Occupant Combat, Redux

>Hey guys, if somebody gets a chance, can there be some
>kind of overhaul of the occupant combat system?  I was
>searching through the old archives and I noticed a
>post by Hans stating that the current system more
>represents units in a transport, like an APC.  Is it
>possible to add a separate routine for units in a
>city?  Otherwise, I think it's a real problem that
>when units attack a place, they get free attacks on
>all the occupants in that place.

You can set protection to 0, i.e. full protection, and the occs will never
be hit when you hit the transport. Furthermore, if  you leave
occupant-escape-chance at its default 0 they will be killed when the
transport is killed (but remain intact until then).

With respect to the city, bombarding it should damage the occupants, so I
see nothing wrong in principle with this.

What I find strange in this code is rather what happens if you miss the
transport. You must all have seen the frequent message: "Your unit a misses
enemy unit b and hits its occupants c, d and e". But this is how things
work. If we change this scheme we would also have to change every game that
uses the standard combat model. Which I doubt would be a good idea right
now.

Hans

P.S. occupant protection in combat model 1 works quite differently. See
table.def and combat.c for details.