Re: Occupant Combat, Redux

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Bruno Boettcher wrote:

> > > work. If we change this scheme we would also have to
> > > change every game that
> > > uses the standard combat model. Which I doubt would
> > > be a good idea right
> > > now.
> hmmm but i think that if we manage to move to something more consistent
> and logical it would be a necessary step to take IMHO sooner than later
> ;)

I'm sure that there will be other releases after 7.5, in which this can be
addressed. To address this, there are several things to be considered, IMO:
(1) Do we continue to support what would end up becoming a "legacy" combat
model and have more complex code as a result? And thus run the risk of
interesting bugs creeping in?
(2) Or do we completely change over to a new combat model (after agreeing upon
our expectations for it), and then go through each and every game to see if the
new model makes sense in that context, and rectify it if not?

Either way, the resulting activity could significantly delay the 7.5 release.
As it stands now, pre-7.5 already has a number of significant improvements over
7.4.1 that enable it to stand on its own as an important milestone.

>From a user perspective, I am as eager as you are for new features. But, as a
developer, I feel that code cleanup, interface updates, and bug fixes should
end out this cycle, not a new major feature. Just my opinion, of course.