Re: New Xconq Windows Executable

Hi Jim,

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> Hmm.  Anyone tried the tcl which comes with cygwin (
> http://www.cygwin.com/packages/tcltk/ )?
>
> It would presumably be free of said licensing issue, but I don't know
> whether it has other issues (for example, maybe it depends on X, which
> would probably be more trouble than it is worth).

Yes, it does depend on the Cygwin XFree86 X libraries. We would
then need to have people install the Cygwin XFree86 stuff (which,
IMO, is much more stable than 2 years ago). And they would
essentially be playing Unix Xconq in an X display on their Windows
machine.

As as side note, building Xconq for the AS Tcl/Tk is slightly
hairier when one has the Cygwin XFree and Tcl/Tk stuff installed
(as I do). More attention has to be paid to make sure you are
pointing at the right sets of headers.

As far as the AS licensing is concerned, it looks like all that
Xconq really needs to do is get written permission to bundle the
DLL's and Tk Tcl scripts (actually the legalese refers to the
"Package", which is a superset of what we want/need, I think). AS
seems to be fairly OpenSource-friendly, so it might be worth a
shot.

  Regards,