Re: New Xconq Windows Executable

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Juergen Ruehle wrote:

> Eric McDonald writes:

>  > Yes, it does depend on the Cygwin XFree86 X libraries. We would
>  > then need to have people install the Cygwin XFree86 stuff (which,
>  > IMO, is much more stable than 2 years ago). And they would
>  > essentially be playing Unix Xconq in an X display on their Windows
>  > machine.
>
> Actually no: the cygwin tk does not depend on X, but it doesn't
> contain the right headers either. You have to download the source to
> the tcl/tk package, extract the headers, and configure using

OK, "depend" was too strong of a word. During my earliest build
attempt, I was picking up the wrong Tcl/Tk (I forgot that I had
the Cygwin version of it installed, and its headers were in
/usr/include which was earlier in the search path than the AS
headers), and when compiling tkwin32.c, I was getting conflicts
with what I _assumed_ were the actual X headers that Tcl/Tk
"depended" on. I'll eat my words for now, until I can verify what
X headers were actually being used (next time I boot into
Windows). Sorry for possibly dispensing misinformation based on an
assumption....

>  --x-includes=<<tk's xlib header directory, e.g. /usr/include/tk/xlib>>
> (Probably the same you are doing to compile with the AS package).

Yes.

> Otherwise configure will find the standard X11 headers which are
> incompatible and the resulting application will crash on startup.

Actually, you probably won't make it past linking, because of the
overridden definitions at the bottom of tkwin32.c.

> Also it seems there is still some tweaking of at least win/Makefile.in
> neccessary. it would be nice if somebody could commit something along
> the lines of (one still has to muck with TCLTKLIB, but I see no way to
> autodetect this):

I had some similar tweaks in mind, based on my experience with
that mess. I will look at your patch more closely tonight (US
Mountain time), unless someone has already committed it by then.
Thanks.

  Best regards,