Re: Tcl/Tk Interface Unification (was Re: New Xconq Windows Executable)

Hi Hans, Juergen,

  Juergen, I applied your patch and everything seemed fine (as
expected). I haven't committed the changes yet because I am
experimenting with building a completely statically-linked Xconq
app. I built the Sourceforge distro of Tcl/Tk under Windows (had
to use the MinGW compiler though), and am linking against that.

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> The advantage of these rearrangements are two-fold. First, it will be
> easier keep track of what files belong to what interfaces. Second, one
> would no longer need hacks supporting several different interfaces within
> the same source file, as is now the case for xconq.c. The only disadvantage
> is the slight code duplication. However, I think we can live with this. The
> entire xconq.c is only 241 lines including the comments.

I am not particularly keen on the idea of maintaining two separate
sources that are partially duplicate. Perhaps we can could do
something like:
  #include "x11/xconq-common.c"
or
  #include "platform/unix/xconq-common.c"
in both tkunix.c and sdlunix.c ...? Even though we would possibly
be including function definitions in multiple places, we would not
run into link-time troubles, because only one of the interfaces is
being built.

  Thanks,