Re: Xconq output files

Hi Hans,

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> I think we could simplify things a bit. One easy step is to give the files
> the same names everywhere.

This is a good idea.

> I am already looking into that. I think it would
> make sense to use the xcq extension only for files (game files) that can be
> opened by Xconq and the txt extension for all other text files.

>From a Windows point of view, the "txt" extension makes sense,
because a text editor (Notepad, etc...) is likely to be associated
with it. But you also lose some descriptivity by using "txt" only;
for things such as Xconq.Warnings, I think XconqWarnings.log might
be more appropriate.

> * saved games, checkpoints and debug files all go into a "save" directory,
> either within the xconq top directory itself (Mac and Windows) or a visible
> $HOME/xconq directory on Unix.

Sounds reasonable, except that I would suggest $HOME/Xconq for
Unix systems: it will show up earlier in most conceivable file
listings (with the ASCII charset, at least). Also, quite a few
other programs used capitalized data directories, such as
"Desktop" with some window managers.

> This would also help to keep the xconq top directory less cluttered, which
> is a problem at least under Windows and MacOS.

We can further unclutter the top level dir by moving Imakefile and
Local.config into a subdir, and then documenting this for people
who really dislike configure scripts.

Also, the README and INSTALL files could be moved into doc, and a
simple README could be left up top telling people to look in doc.
This would effectively take 5 files out of the top level.