RE: My apologies

Eric wrote:

> I take some risk in replying to this, knowing that you may be
> trolling for a new flamewar. But, I'll take the chance in the hope
> that you are sincere.

Well, I know "The Internet is great, nobody knows you're a dog!" as the
old New Yorker (?) cartoon goes, but I think you're expressing an undue
level of paranoia here.  In all the forums I've been in over many years,
I've rarely seen anyone apologize, and the ones I have seen were always
meant.  It is not something people do every day and I've never seen it
done for troll bait.  Now, maybe I've hung out in the "wrong" forums and
you have experience to the contrary?

> > As someone pointed out in different words, I'm realizing
> > it's not so much about clash of personality as size of project.
>
> Also, I think you do need to settle
> down, study the information available to you, and be less reliant
> on others (for approval and for information). Actions speak louder
> than words.

Ok, let's at least discuss the clash of developer culture between us,
because we do definitely have that, project size and personality
differences aside.

I'm not worried about whether or not I take action.  I do.  I have a
working VS 2003 build system that proves I take action.  And, it wasn't
"a few minutes" of work as Hans claimed.  It has taken a week, that's
the more realistic scope of the project for someone who isn't intimately
familiar with the Xconq code.  It'll be a solid week, or possibly even 2
weeks, when / if I incorporate a Windows packaging system.  I haven't
looked at that yet.

As I take action, I want others to facilitate my action.  That, in my
view, is the point of working with other people.  Otherwise, I could
very easily be working solo on my own 4X TBS.  I may yet do that,
because I'm not sure at this point if Xconq is a good framework for my
project goals.  I will know in a few days one way or the other.

What facilitates my action?  Taking 2 minutes to answer my easy
questions in a timely manner.  What does not?  Poring over archives of
ancient / meandering discussions and haphazardly placed / incomplete
docs to dig out gory details.  That takes me an hour.  That's an hour
that could be better spent on implementing or fixing something.

Succinctly, I do not believe in the "Why don't you just bang your head
against the wall harder?" school of programming.  I believe in asking
easy questions that people can promptly answer.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.