Re: Marketing Xconq?

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 17:13, Eric McDonald wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Dr Eric Edward Moore wrote:
>
> > Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu> writes:
> >
> > > Similarly, I think Xconq could benefit from a reinforcements
> > > model, where forces simply appear at certain turns.
> >
> > Like the "appear" unit property?  It's used in gettysburg.g
>
> Similar, but "appear" is a unit property, and not a unit-type
> property. When I wrote the above remark, I wasn't really thinking
> in terms of pre-built scenarios, but something more general, as an
> alternative (or complement) to creation/building. But, yes, I will
> concede that a reinforcements model does exist in the sense
> that you mention.

It sounds like you're talking about random units being created at random
places on the map for random sides, although none of those are likely
meant to be 100% random (e.g. it would be ridiculous for a nuclear bomb,
owned by your opponent, to randomly appear next to *your* capital
city!).

I recall thinking that something like that might be interesting in
bolodd.g: Every so often, an independent unit (perhaps goblins at low
levels, with more powerful stuff as the game progresses) appears out of
nowhere (but preferably in an area that nobody can see) and wreaks havoc
with any non-independent units it can find.  Of course, I don't expect
anything like that to become possible until well after 7.5.