Re: Marketing Xconq

> One way you might be able to fake these attributes
> within the
> existing framework would be to define unit types
> that serve as
> transports for occupant "attribute" units. For
> example, an
> Ironclad might be a container for a Turret. The
> Ironclad itself
> could not fire, but the Turret could fire. The
> Ironclad could move
> in river terrain, but the Turret could not move in
> any terrain
> (but it would have enough ACP to fire and to enter
> the Ironclad,
> though not necessarily to leave it). Capacity
> restrictions could
> be used to make sure that only the correct number of
> Turrets could
> be placed on the Ironclad.

That's how the original Cast Iron Life worked, but
there were three problems that I ran into:

1.  There's no collapsable occupant view in the
Windows interface, which makes anything that requires
transport to be ugly, ugly, ugly.

2.  To do something like this you need a BUNCH of
units, which again looks ugly because Xconq shows
every unit that can be built by anyone, rather than
(What I'd prefer) only the units that can be built by
the currently selected units.

3.  Most importantly, the AI just doesn't know how to
operate with a ruleset like this.  It's fine for human
players (Who don't mind really small icons and massive
build lists) but the AI just doesn't get it.