GUI problem

Ok, I see a problem with writing new GUIs for Xconq.

I'm looking at the libtkui code.  I am counting ~250 global C functions.
It's all rather monolithic.  I simply can't write to that kind of
interface.  I don't think many people can, unless they're being paid for
it day in, day out.

As far as I can tell, the level of complexity of reusing Xconq code for
new GUIs is untenable.  One would be better off writing a completely
generic OO GUI for hex-based TBS games "from scratch," and let someone
who actually understands all that Xconq code worry about trying to hook
into it.  The knowledge investment is simply not worth it to any
newcomer.  This, I think, is the unfortunate legacy of a "flat" rather
than OO development model.

Do people who know the codebase see some great clarifying principle that
I am missing?  This looks like weeks and weeks and weeks of work.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.