RE: UI proposal (more screenshots)

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 11:06, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Using dock items in GTK+/GNOME interfaces, it is possible not only to
> move a dock item from one edge of the screen to another, but also to
> turn a dock item into a floating window.  That would very closely mimic
> the behavior of the Mac interface.  How difficult would it be do set
> that up using SDL?
>
> Perhaps I should try this in Glade and make some more screenshots.

You can now find a screenshot that illustrates GTK+ floating panels at:

http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/gtk-xconq-floating.png

As before, it should be possible to turn these panels invisible
automatically or on demand.
Although I think that it looked better when they were docked to the
edges of the window; that may just depend on who you ask.  At least it
should be possible to allow the user to set it up his or her preferred
way (just click the handlebar and drag).

Additionally, to demonstrate panel-hiding, I created another screenshot
in which panels that would not appear in the standard game are hidden
(actually, I just made the "hidden" panels into floating panels and
moved them to the side, but the screenshot still makes the point):

http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/gtk-xconq-standard.png

In the standard game, the "Advances", "Technology", and "Tooling" panels
would be removed, since advances and tooling and not used in the game
and technology only applies to one unit (the nuclear bomb) that can only
be developed by one other unit (the city).  Perhaps in the case of the
"Technology" panel, it would appear when a city is selected and nuclear
bombs have not yet been developed, and it would disappear when a
different unit is selected.