Re: GDL, XML and others...Re: OT Python stuff (was RE: Python in Xconq)

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:59:33AM +0100, Jakob Ilves wrote:
> Oh, what a bummer.  But wait, XML very much resembles.... let's see... HTML!!  Actually, it's
true, then what? make some slt sheets to transform GDL grammar into
xhtml and back??

> HTML.  Heck, KIDS do write HTML these days.  Tons of people out there would apply their HTML (or
    uhm.... you looked at how actual kids nowadays write HTML? ever
    heard of frontend and other crap of that sort?
    if i look at my students, in contrast to my (optimistic?) forecasts
    the number of people beeing able to read plain HTML before entering
    at university is dropping rapidly... :(

> Trouble with managing tables in XML languages?  Yes, maybe there are but again, many HTML editors
then we are back to needing a GUI of some sort to edit the GDL files...
wasn't the purpose of all this to get a file format that should be
easily be interpretable in its raw format?

> accept the way tables are managed in HTML, so they wouldn't groan too much in XGDL.  (Ok, they
> would perhaps groan, a little, when dealing with the attack tables for all units vs all units in
> the standard game).
that's exactly my point.... the game definitions are mainly tables, and
those look plain ugly in raw XML... either way you turn it ;)

> So, I think that XGDL could attract quite a few people.  Remember, XML is _WIDELY_ adopted in the
heh  i am using it extensively myself, i know that, but in the same
scope i seldom have ot edit that stuff by hand.... i nearly allways have
some program making this for me....

> Today, GDL resembles... LISP.  Fun for me, who have studied computers science and thus knowing
don't get it wrong, i was never comfortable with the actual GDL, Stan
and the other might remind my pathetic attempts to make some games....

> But yes, maybe XGDL is overall less attractive than GDL.  (But I have my sincere religous
> beliefs).
:D

> Of course, regardless of language you define the Xconq games in, the document probably always will
> be frightening ;-).  It's a fairly complex task in any case... hm, what about...
>
> <troll type="flamebait">
>   ...game design GUIs anyone?
> </troll>
yah hit him hard!! :D

> Actually, it will get there.  The best two implementations are the XML projects SVG package named
i am aware of that stuff, but i won't migrate my pictures to SVG a long
as this stuff isn't easily available to most of the www-population...

having to install an old version of mozilla instead of my (hated/loved)
  galeon is a pain in the a..  and the purpose of SVG is somewhere to
  replace stuff like flash and lots of pictures which are in fact
  bitmapped vector graphics (all my result charts for example which are
      all 10x smaller in SVG than in png...)
  so having an external plugin rendering doesn't yield at the moment the
  same effect...
  uh quite offtopic ;)

> order to draw the graphics in your GUI.  Java Xconq anyone ;-)?
aww not that again.... we can admit that that attempt was a plain
failure, as Stan foretold :D
i should still have the code snippets of our 2 tries lying somewhere
around.....

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org