altruistic VS 2003 Solution files

Eric McDonald wrote:

> When I suggested that _you_ could
> contribute your VS project, you became rather defensive, thinking
> that I somehow doubted your efforts.

No, I went through a triage of why you would possibly bother to phrase
your question as you did.  I eneumerated the possibilities:

- you didn't believe I had created VS 2003 Solution files
- you didn't approve of VS 2003 Solution files
- you were worried that I might have done them badly

All 3 ended up with the same result: why bother to ask the question as
you did?  The proper question would have beem more like, "Could you
please .ZIP up your VS 2003 files so we can stick 'em into the source
pool?"  Or, "are they ready for the source pool yet?"  And I answered
that: no, they're only 95% complete.

> It would be nice if you would
> understand that, within the open source community, there is a kind
> of "altruism", that if you accomplish something positive then you
> share it with others.

Which has nothing to do with the question you asked.  I had already
built the VS 2003 Solution files.  My altruism is not at issue; you may
want to make it an issue, but it is misguided of you to do so.

It's like, you never really got the idea that amidst all the screaming
and gnashing of teeth, and us getting on each other's nerves, that I was
actually building things for Xconq.  I think that's because you were
tuning out my various status messages like "I've got the Tk client built
now," "Hey! I've got the SDL client built now."  Why did you think I
wrote those things, to lie to you and say "4A! 4A!  Read it and w33p
loz3rz, I'm not giving you didly doo!" ??  Sometimes I think you are
used to working with a very low class of people in hack3rz forums,
because you seem to have these paranoid ideas about what my motives are,
when I'm always pretty blunt and clear about my motives.

Anyways, you need to accept that there's altruism, then there's
difference of personal style, and finally there's unviability.  I am
only interested in the intersection of our common agendas.  I'm not here
to just give freely, I give because there are things I want to get in
return.  For instance, migrating a C codebase and getting lotsa happy
novice Python programmers / game designers jammin' on Xconq is of direct
career benefit to me.  If successful, not only would I enhance my
stature as an Indie Game Designer / Programmer, but I can consult that
skill for big bucks.  The technical term for that is a Win-Win
Situation.

Of course that's a best case, and I'm a gambler.  If I embed Python and
nobody uses it because of developer climate and people's energies, at
least I will know some things about how efforts fail.

Other issues you raised are sold separately.  :-)

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.