Re: Xconq output files

>We never really got resolution on this thread. Since ".xcq" is now
>associated with Xconq on the Windows platform, I would like to
>clear things up.
>
>On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at the various files that Xconq creates recently, since I
>> have been fixing a number of MacOSX-related problems involving these files.
>> Anyhow, this got me thinking. A plethora of files are created by Xconq.
>> Furthermore, their names and locations vary according to the platform, the
>> interface, and the game being played:
>>
>> * Saved game files ("save.xcq" on Unix and Windows, "Saved Game" on the
>>Mac).
>> * Checkpoint files ("checkNN.xconq" on Unix and Windows, "Checkpoint" on
>> the Mac).
>
>I vote to leave saved games with ".xcq". Furthermore, I would
>like to change the checkpoint savefiles to ".xcq" as well, since
>they really are saved Xconq games.

Yes. It makes sense for all game files to end in .xcq, so that they are
opened by Xconq. I even contemplated if all the .g files should be renamed
.xcq, but that would go to far (and also break the CVS record for all the
game files). I already started to implement some of these changes on the
Mac.

>> * Warning files ("Xconq.Warnings" on all platforms).
>> * Debug files ("Xconq.DebugOut" on all platforms).
>
>"XconqWarnings.log" and "XconqDebugOut.log".

Not sure about this one. A .log file to me is something that accumulates
output from several sessions. Which these files do not. How about just
XconqWarnings?

>> * Preference files ("prefs.xcq" in the tcltk interface, "Xconq Preferences"
>> in the PPC interface).
>
>"XconqPrefs" or "XconqPrefs.txt".

I like XconqPrefs. The .txt extension looks screwy except on Windows where
it is invisible. Of course, it is there that it is needed the most. Since
we want all these files to open in a text editor, is it possible to tell
Windows that anything that starts with Xconq should be openend in a text
editor?

Alternatively, we could have a second unique extension (.xcd ?) for all
Xconq-related doc files that should be opened in a text editor. Perhaps
this is a better idea.

>> * Scores files ("scores.xcq" for most games, but some games have their own
>> scores files).
>
>"XconqScores" or "XconqScores.txt" for the main scores file.

XconqScores is fine. However, since different games make different score
files, this is a tricky one.

>> * Statistics files ("stats.txt" on Unix and Windows, "Statistics" on the
>>Mac).
>
>"XconqStats"

Yep.

>> * Error files ("ERRsave.xcq" on Unix and Windows, "Error Save" on the Mac).
>
>"ErrorSave.xcq"

Yep.