Re: fighters fighting without ammo

Hi Hans, Bruno, others,

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> One easy way to achieve this is to extend the default unit tactical-range,
> which is where the action-reaction code takes over. Right now it is set to
> 4 cells, which means that the AI will attack anything that comes within 4
> cells of one of its units. This could easily be changed to 20 cells, for
> example. I think there would be a negative effect on performance, but I
> haven't tested this rigourously.

I have set this value higher for units in Bellum Aeternum. In the
case of aircraft, it is significantly higher. I think it has
adversely affected performance some, especially once the game
reaches a point where there are lots of units clogged up on the
tips of peninsulae (a problem which is alleviated by the new
path-finding). But the AI is better at coming after targets than
in the standard game, IMO.

  Regards,