Re: Standard game problems in windows (20031214) version

>Yesterday evening I played the standard game - by the way: which game
>would you
>suggest as being moderately more advanced? - and had trouble unloading my
>transports. I could only disembark directly into cities. I was able to build a
>transport in a city  connected to the sea by a river (one hex), but was unable
>than to slip into the sea.
>
>The computer players did poorly, but I missed one transport of the last
>player.
>So he retained score 1. I handed over to the AI to let it finish, but couldn't
>bear to watch it crash my planes in hordes.
>
>Besides: Units keep sharing fuel without my consent. This is especially
>irritating with planes.
>
>After having entered a flight path, planes keep halting after having spent
>half
>of their fuel, despite the fact that there is a city waiting for them.
>
>Have I mentioned yet, that I would love to see patrols implemented?
>
>Still a fun game to play...

Thanks. The problems with loading/unloading transports are probably related
to the path-finding problems that Lincoln Peters and others have reported.
Same goes for the resupply problem. As you may know, we incorporated Peter
Garrone's new path-finding code recently. It is a major improvement, but
there are still three problems with it that need to be fixed:

1. Desynch of network games. The path cahce has been disabled as a
temporary fix, but this in turn slows down the AI a lot, something that
people also have complained about.

2. Transport-related problems.

3. Resupply-related problems.

Peter has been working on fixes for all three problems. I would rather wait
a few week for these fixes than back out of the path-finding code since I
think the latter adds a lot to the game. Meanwhile, please have patience
with these bugs.

There are also some other bugs that we are working on. Some games (such as
flattops) now crash in the Windows and Mac tcltk interfaces. And there are
some problems with running network games from saved files on Windows. These
problems may be related to the recent changes in the game loading and
network code.

As for a more advanced game, I would recommend either Eric McDonald's
Bellum or my own Advances game.