Re: pathfinding refueling

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:10:31PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> > > Yes, if fuel consumption is per-move. If it is per-turn, going into reserve
> > > makes little sense. Unless it can resupply itself from the terrain, of
> > > course.
> >
> > Thanks. Of course in the roman game, food is consumed per turn. But that
> > would never be a problem because there arent any mobile land-based
> > resupply points. But I will certainly check for that in the code.
>
> What about the wandering barbarian tribes?  The last time I played
> roman.g (when I was testing the pathfinding code), I used a tribe to
> carry an invasion force across a desert (I piled infantry into the
> tribe, then moved it across the desert).  The tribe remains productive,
> even when in a desert and on the move (although less prodctive than a
> stationary tribe in plains).
>
> --
> Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>

This development will be a long way from guaranteeing no unit will ever
starve. Hopefully it will increase playability by vastly reducing the
clicking on aircraft units and also as a way of minimising the losses
the ai incurs. it might work on the roman game to automate this
behavior, but I doubt its much of a problem. I think the roman game will
be fine as long as ships find their way round the med, and army units
drop in for food at cities on the way. Actually my main problem with it
is getting all the troops to jump into the transports at the start.

Seriously, it is beyond my ability, and desire, to replicate the supply code in the
pathfinding, so i hope noone expects this. Instead fairly simple
approaches are used to optimise playability.

Peter