Re: New version of bolodd2.g that supports change-type

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> No, I'm using tech points in the same manner as in postmodern.g.

OK, I'll take a look at that mechanism.

> I haven't looked at bellum.g in a while either.  Are towns and cities
> now advanced units, or do you have some other growth mechanism in place?

Yes. They actually have been for some time. The last version that
I checked in (before starting the rewrite) allowed Germinators to
build Towns and Citadels. Then Towns could upgrade to Cities to
Metropoles. (Also, the last checked in version has updated unit
graphics; I used some much nicer pictures from the Trident and PG
image sets.)

The new version (that I am still working on) also allows
Germinators to build Towns and Citadels. But now Citadels (after
a long time) can upgrade to Capitols. Also, Germinators can
revive Ruins into Towns in about 75% of the time it
would take to build a new Town. Engineers can build Forts I, Camp
I, Airbase I, Seabase I, or Refinery I, and then these units can
upgrade to more developed versions of themselves.

But, I think the most important aspect of the new version is the
better ACP math. Meaning, that it should be much harder to get a
unit to have 1 or 2 leftover ACP which it cannot do anything
with. I think this was probably the most annoying aspect of the
old game module, because then the user had to manually skip the
unit.

Unit functionality is also much better separated, which I think
will make each unit more distinctly useful. There are also
some design changes, which make it easier for me to maintain
and extend the game. And, there are also a couple of new unit
types, but I am not going to spill all of the beans....