Bug reports on Mac OS 10.3.3

I am finding Xconq to be very unstable on my machine, crashing frequently. I am trying to identify patterns to the crashes, but in the meantime I have identified a few specific problems.

My environment: Mac OSX 10.3.3 on a G-4 PowerBook with 512 MB RAM. Xconq version 7.5pre, the latest 040402 updated binaries for Mac OSX. Display 1152x768 32-bit color depth. I almost always use Sequential mode true if the game allows this option, with World Seen true and See All false.

Bug 1: If you use the View Menu to turn off Unit Names, the Hex Grid cannot be displayed. The only way to show the Hex Grid without Unit Names is with Solid Color Terrain. (This problem seems to be a solid bug on almost all games: at least WWII Battalion, Lord of the Rings, 2200 AD and others.

Bug 2: The auto-scroll on Map windows when the cursor is near the edge scrolls even if the Map window is not the front-most window. It even scrolls if Xconq is not the front-most app. As I am typing this email, If I slide the cursor down to the bottom of the screen, I can see the Xconq map scrolling in the background.

Bug 3: When you switch between Xconq windows by clicking on the title bar, Xconq "gets confused" -- the title bar highlighting indicates that the new window is active, but the Xconq Menus don't seem to realized that the active window has changed. The Window menu item still shows the previous window as active at the bottom of the pull-down, and the View menu does not update either (i.e., if you switch from a list window to a map window this way, the View menu still shows the the view options for the list). Everything works fine if you switch windows by clicking inside the window itself. The problem only occurs when switching by clicking on the title bars.

Bug 4: The three key Side menu items -- Move On Click, Auto Jump Next, Auto End Turn sometimes get messed up. I have identified one repeatable misbehavior in particular: I start a game, uncheck all three of these menu items, then switch to a List window. The Side menu then shows the first two, Move On Click and Auto Jump Next as checked no matter what one does. If I try to uncheck them, they remain checked. But on switching back to the map window, the Side menu functions properly, and you discover that you really were toggling these items but the menu was not giving proper feed-back. If you open a second Map window, Move On Click and Auto Jump Next are now checked when the new Map window is active but not in the old window (possibly correct behavior), but in this case you can turn them off normally and the Side menu updates correctly --- but when I do so the Control Panel, which a had turned off, suddenly appears but only partially drawn.

(The interaction of Bug 3 and Bug 4 drove me out of my mind before I isolated them. I had almost concluded that Xconq was changing the Side menu items randomly.)

Problem 5: For some bizarre reason, Xconq never shows up in the Finder's Recent Items menu. I just discovered that the Xconq Classic app inside the OSX Xconq bundle somehow wound up in my Recent Items menu. I cleared the menu, then verified that Xconq OSX still refuses to show up.

I will continue testing and will hopefully figure out what circumstances cause my crashes.

Tom