Re: Xconq Game Designers Project

>I'm thinking of opening up a project on the
>Sourceforge space for Xconq game developers.  I agree
>with the worries of moving the whole project to
>Sourceforge (Or anywhere, for that matter, considering
>it works where it is), but I'd like to get more
>exposure for the game.  It's amazing how few
>turn-based strategy games are beyond planning and
>pre-alpha stage on sf.  It would also provide players
>and scenario designers a place to post and test.
>
>It'd be pretty easy to get forums (Standard with
>sourceforge) and all the Xconq packages and binaries
>up but I'm really interested in reviewing all the
>games currently included.  I can put up screenshots,
>general information (Genre, size, average game time)
>and tips as well as issues and bugs/incomplete areas.
>
>Does anyone have any objections to this?

Not in principle. More exposure for Xconq would be great, and what you
propose to do is something that has long been neglected since the few
active developers have been too busy with coding. I think the most recent
screenshots on the Xconq home page are more than 3 years old ...

I'm not sure that a game-module site would qualify as a SourceForge
project, though. In their faq they say:

"In order for your project to be considered for hosting on SourceForge.net:
... Project must be developing software source code;"

"SourceForge.net does not provide hosting for the following: ... Projects
developing content such as images, game modifications (which are not source
code-based) ..."

As for distributing binaries, a problem as I see it is SourceForge's File
Release System, which means that once you upload a file to their server you
relinquish control of it forever - there is no way, not even for the
project admin, to change or remove a released file. Using SourceForge to
release software (even an alfa version) is therefore a final release in
every sense of the word. This is in contrast to how things work at the
RedHat server and elsewhere, where users have full control of their own ftp
directories. Old and buggy binaries that cause problems can therefore be
removed. As a developer, I feel more comfortable with a system where I
retain some control over test binaries that I distribute in the sense that
I can withdraw them from the site where I posted them if they cause
problems.

For this reason, I would prefer that you do not release our pre-release
binaries or installers through the SourceForge File Release System. It is
better if you provide links to the Xconq home page, or to Eric's and my own
home pages, where the most recent (and hopefully bug free) pre-release
versions always are available.

Another question is whether it would be a good idea to set up a separate
forum (on SourceForge or elsewhere) dealing with Xconq game modules. My
feeling is that game module writers and source code developers need to
communicate. That is how bugs are reported and new features are proposed
and implemented. I suspect that game module writers will quickly loose
interest in a forum where they don't get any feedback from source code
developers (and vice versa).

So my recommendation if you set up a game module site (with or without its
own forum) is that you provide a link to this list, where the Xconq
developers live.

Reviews, screenshots etc. would also be a welcome addition to the Xconq
home page, which is sadly out of date. If you want to do that kind of work,
you may wish to consider putting it there, as well.