Re: 7.4.1 performance problems w/Mandrake 10

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 00:39, Jon Leech wrote:
>     Since moving to Mandrake 10 (from 9.2), I'm seeing weird performance
> issues from Xconq 7.4.1 (installed from an ancient RPM originally from
> sourceware.cygnus.com).

A Web archaeologist, I see.

I have not tried Xconq on Mandrake 10. When I recently restructured my
development system, I switched from Mandrake 9.1 to Fedora Core 1 as my
primary Linux distro, due to concerns I have about Mandrake's future.

As I mentioned to you earlier, I will soon be building new generic Xconq
7.5 pre-release RPM's.

>     In summary the UI has become extremely sluggish, response to typing
> takes significantly longer to show up, and when I switch modes ('z'),
> there's no visual evidence of that in the map display until I close and
> reopen the game window.

As Hans suggested, you would probably be better off using a modern
Xconq. I wouldn't place too much weight with 7.4.1 being an official
release; we are essentially in 7.5 pre-release right now (I wouldn't
call it release candidate stage, but a definite over 7.4.1 in many
aspects.)

>     Could this be related to the Mandrake switch from Tcl/Tk 8.3 -> 8.4?
> I spoofed rpm (put in 8.3 -> 8.4 library symlinks and used --nodeps) to
> get this old RPM to install, so maybe something in Tk changed between
> 8.3 and 8.4 that could be affecting the UI?

Possibly, though we have built Xconq against Tcl/Tk 8.4 as well, and I
don't recall seeing such issues. But that is with a modern Xconq. At
some point, there were some changes to get it to build against the 8.4
series, IIRC, and it may very well be that an old binary is not
binary-compatible with Tcl/Tk 8.4 or that the Xconq Tcl scripts and core
Tcl scripts are somehow mismatched.

>     I'll rebuild from source if necessary, but am hoping there's some
> simple X/Tk/RPM tweak that will solve this.

Let me release some fresh RPM's and take care of the MD5 checksum issue
that you reported.

  Regards,