Re: Overwatch and Counterbattery?

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 15:32, Hans Ronne wrote:
> >Does Xconq have any support for fire-protection?
> >Specifically, I'm thinking of two forms, the one being
> >firing upon a unit that comes within range, which as I
> >understand it is called Overwatch in the various
> >turn-based games I've played.
>
> In a way, yes. The u_ai_tactical_range variable controls within what range
> a given unit type will take notice of an enemy unit. If you have a unit
> that can fire and set the range to 12 it will fire on any enemy unit that
> it can hit which comes within 12 cells.

In terms of non-AI response, it seems that something could be rigged
together in terms of ZOC checking. So if the defender extended a ZOC out
to, say, a radius of 3, and something came inside the ZOC (it would have
to be allowed inside, since ZOC's are blocking by default), then perhaps
it should be subject to an automatic ranged attack/fire response. This
would probably be best done during the movement of the intruder, because
that is where ZOC coverage is already checked, IIRC.

Could make for some interesting tactical situations, where an evasive,
hard-to-hit unit sweeps into the ZOC, and then darts back out, causing
the defender to waste ACP firing before the real attackers enter.... Of
course, the availability of such a tactic might indicate a game design
flaw.