Re: A more sophisticated demonstration of change-type

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 00:03, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > (define levels (l1 l2 l3 l4 l5 l6 l7 l8 l9 l10 l11 l12 l13 l14 l15 l16
> > l17 l18 l19 l20))
> >
> > expands to this:
> >
> > ((knight-1 goblin) (knight-2) ... (knight-20))
> >
> > and thus an atom is being iterated against a list of lists, but needs to
> > be iterated against other atoms (such as a list of atoms) in order to
> > locate distinct positions in the table to fill in.
>
> I think I get it.

It turns out that the 'acp-to-attack' problem you were seeing is related
to this. The 'atk1', 'atk2', etc. are also lists of lists; i.e., 'atk1'
expands to:
  ((knight-1) (knight-2) ... (knight-6))
instead of:
  (knight-1 knight-2 ... knight-6)
Placing an 'append' in the definition solves the problem:
  (define atk1 (append l1 l2 l3 l4 l5 l6))

Other notes:
  I played the game for a while last night. I think it has a lot of
potential, and I already found it to be rather enjoyable, in spite of
its early stage of development. It seems that 'knight-1' units are
becoming 'knight-2' units at about the right rate. However, I am not
sure that 'knight-2' units are becoming 'knight-3' units fast enough. Of
course, I didn't actually encounter the enemy, so I didn't have a chance
to engage other 'knight-2' units, but laying siege to independent
'thorps' with gangs of knights was (a) fun, and (b) not rewarding enough
in terms of advancement to ranks higher than 'knight-2'. Maybe the
transition from 'thorp' to 'hamlet' could be accelerated so that the
independent 'hamlets' would appear and produce opposing 'knight-2' units
sooner. I think this would also make the game a little more entertaining
in its early stages; people might feel more compelled to play if the
earlier advances happen more rapidly before they become distracted by
more fulfilling aspects of game play such as slaughter, carnage, and
wrecking mayhem on an active opponent.