Re: Wrecking Revisited

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 13:11, Hans Ronne wrote:
> >I think designers would be better served if the code
> >simply vanished any disallowed unit without reporting
> >an error.  I can't see much reason for it to work like
> >it does, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
> My recollection is that this is how the wrecking code should work, i.e.
> wrecks that cannot belong to their assigned side should simply vanish. So
> you may have found a bug. Or possibly an overzealous run warning.

This should now be fixed as part of the wrecking overhaul I just
committed to the repository. I actually had most of it done by noon of
last Sunday, but then got hung up on a bug when I was working on a
simple game to demonstrate the changes. Frustrating....

The behavior is now:
If the new unit type can remain on the same side as the old type, then
leave it there.
If not, then, if the new unit type can belong to the side that wrecked
it, then change its side to the wrecking side.
If not, then, if the new unit type can belong to the independent side,
then change its side to the independent side.
If not, then make it vanish.
In any case, the unit is no longer left on a disallowed side, and no
errors are reported.