Re: Weird fuel behavior

>> If you ctrl-click on a unit, it brings up a small closeup (floating window)
>> where you can examine its plans etc. Basically the same information as in
>> the unit info pane.
>
>So you could open these for a few units and keep them open and they'd
>get updated as the game proceeds?  If so, that sounds like the key
>advantage - watching them change, rather than just getting a static
>view of a unit.

That is how it works. Very helful both for debugging and for game design.

>> The only thing that has held me off so far is the poor support for
>> floating windows in tcltk. It took a lot of work to get the research
>> popup window to behave the way it does, and it is still inferior to a
>> real floating window.
>
>Well, I understand the reluctance.  I think maybe the research window
>has been improved since the last time I played a game which has
>research, but I remember quirks (like not bringing it to the front
>when desired or something

This has been fixed now. But it took some work to get it right.

, I don't really remember fully and some of
>them might be related to how research interacts with turns and
>movement, not just the floating-ness of the window as such).
>
>In SDL, I assume we'd get to write our own window code (or use one of
>the many libraries out there which are designed to go on top of SDL).
>I don't know whether that is better or worse than having (possibly
>buggy or quirky) floating windows provided for us.

SDL doesn't support multiple windows at all. So I guess one would have to
implement something like a row of unit info panes in order to examin
several units at once.