Re: The battle for Taiwan

Lincoln Peters wrote:

Except that, if we do it your way, there is no variability in when the
units appear.

I was proposing another way to address Henry Cobb's earlier question to the list, which as far as I could tell, did not involve variability in the turn of appearance. "My way" is essentially as twisted as the Meeks-Ronne Method, and it was proposed in jest. Using the existing mechanism ("appear", IIRC) is likely the best way to achieve what he wanted.

If you want barbarian invaders to start appearing at
random intervals but after at least 100 turns, you can add that
randomness by using Elijah's method.

Yes, I am aware of that. I read his message.

For variability in the turn of appearance, Elijah's idea is quite novel and creative. Good thinking, Elijah.

I think that what Xconq should really have is a mechanism for generating
independent units that appear in random places at random times.

I suggested that before (and not just for independent units), and I believe you were the one who assumed that I meant random unit types as well. The disucussion took place on the list last November or December, if I am correct in the rememberance.

Although in many cases, additional constraints would be required (it
would rarely make sense for a barbarian horde to spontaneously appear
adjacent to your capital city, for example).

IIRC, one thing I think I suggested to address this issue was starting zones (such as countries). In the case of indep units, one could require a minimum separation distance from any units belonging to a player side; or, at least, that has been my private thinking on the issue, wrt Wreckreation.