Re: IMFApp Office

Hans Ronne wrote:

There are actually two completely different ways to draw terrain in Xconq:
as tiles or as individual images.

I had gathered that from browsing the IMF's a few days ago, and also previously from noticing that some terrains were drawn as squares (as with colors) in IMFapp, but others, like the Civ2 terrains, were drawn in hexagons.

Now, if IMFApp does not find a special "tile" image (which it will never do
in the case of a unit) it will make one from the available image and use it
as a tile. That is why the background unit images are trimmed to 32x32
size. They were converted to "tiles" before being used to draw the
background.

OK. That is fine for a technical explanation of what is happening, but it still not very intuitive from an user's persepctive, I think.

I would add that the whole tile drawing machinery is semi-obsolete, a
remnant from the time when Xconq did not have true images. The best way to
draw terrain is certainly the latter,

I would agree; it seems that that would be less computationally expensive.

One could of course make IMFApp draw backgrounds by using individual images
instead of tiles,

This is more like what I had expected.