Re: Major bug and what to do about it (long)

Hans Ronne wrote:

How is attacking a ghost unit any different than a miss?

Because we are dealing with a failed task here, not a failed action. We
never get to the point where we attack the ghost unit.

I disagree. There is (or should be) an attempted attack carried out on the ghost unit. As near as I can tell, an attempted attack could be framed in terms of an action (which may, in turn, invoke other actions).

OK, then we agree on that point. That does, however, rule out the acp
penalizing scheme as a possible solution.

Only if you insist on thinking inside the box and are unwilling to develop additional machinery. I am suggesting an "attempted attack" action or something akin to an action.

If a unit does carry out an attack which is unsuccessful, yes. But if it
only gets as far as contemplating an attack (task execution) which never
happens,

It is not a matter of "contemplating"; it is a matter of "attempting". As I see it, anyway.

I don't think it should be penalized. Thinking about doing
something is not the same thing as doing it.

Exactly.

P.S. I think the real problem here is that real units instead of unit views
are being checked at a point (task execution), where only unit views should
be checked, since that is all the AI or the human player should ever know
about.

I agree about 90%.

References to real units should be strictly limited to the action
code where things do happen. Anything before that is AI code (or interface
code), and should be treated accordingly.

I agree 100%.