Re: Major bug and what to do about it (long)

>> What happens if you just move around in the ocean without hitting
>> 'a'?
>
>If there is no submarine, then you expend an ACP.
>
>Whereas hitting "a" where there is no submarine doesn't cost you
>anything.

Right.

>> It would seem more logical to me if it was the other way around,
>> that is if direct attacks against invisible units were impossible
>> while overrun attacks were possible.
>
>So "a" would only attack units you can see, but overruns would
>possibly attack units you can't see?  That sounds logical.

That's how I expected things to work, since 'a' supposedly targets a
selected and therefore visible unit. Maybe the attack command, too, is
buggy in the tcltk interface.

>From what you describe, it sounds like it defaults into an "attack-into"
command when there is no visible unit to attack, and hits any unit that is
present in the cell. This is actually very interesting, since it is similar
to what I propose as a general solution for both the attack and fire-at
commands. The only difference would be that this current buggy (?)
attack-into is not triggered if the cell is empty. Under my scheme, an
attack against an empty cell would always spend both ammo and acps, which
would make all exploits of this type impossible.