Re: Standard Game Graphics

> Looks good. Personally, I would prefer if your
> 'Trident' variant was
> made into the default, and the old graphics were
> made into some sort of
> oldtimers variant. I mean, I think a major point of
> this exercise was to
> help Xconq present a more polished image to new
> players, and your new
> graphics do that much better than the old ones. But,
> that's just my
> opinion; I guess we'll have to see what others say.
> (I suppose some
> people have been looking at the old graphics for so
> long that anything
> new will seem alien and objectionable....)

I agree that it should be the default, but I also
agree that it should be a group decision.  The one
problem, which I believe Jim pointed out and proved
true, is that it doesn't look so good at the 16
unit/hex resolution.  You can tell the difference
between units because there are pretty good primary
color distinctions (Infantry brown, armor green,
fighter gray) but it's pretty ugly.

The two solutions I see are:

1.  Make specific imf 4 4 definitions that reference
the old silhouettes, because they're more recognizable
at that resolution.

2.  Set unit limits per hex at four, which is the max
amount of Trident units in a hex that are still
recognizable and look decent.  I like this both from
the graphical viewpoint and the gameplay viewpoint,
simply because I think more than four units in a hex
is unweildy.  You still have problems with cities and
transports, but that'll be solved next week, when
Eric's Occupant Dialog Box Fix is out...  Right,
Eric?*

I think it's obvious that I prefer solution 2.  And I
still think we need a forum.  And a better webpage
(Christ, I've been here for two years and I still have
a hard time finding the right link for downloads or
mailing lists or manuals and everytime I see the XConq
website, I think, "1992?").  And neural nets.  And
fully 3D units.  And salaries for game designers.  And
groupies.  And an XConq Company Cruise.  And and
and...