Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online

Done. Do you think the search box looks okay or should it go elsewhere?

I don't personally have any solid ideas about where the search box should logically go. I guess it makes some sort of sense that the documentation, forums, bug reports, old articles section, and searching should all be somewhat near each other as they are somewhat related (assuming the search facility covers all of those other things). The download section should be very prominent, perhaps in the upper right corner. Some of the links in the modules section are a little non-intuitive (for starters, when I see "Modules" WRT Xconq I'm expecting game modules). How does the Search option there differ from the search box on the front? How does the stories archive differ from the old articles section on the front? Why is the games library under documentation and not modules? Why does the Home link appear when you're already home?

Are there any usability or UI gurus who read this list? It's not my primary field so take my comments on it with a grain of salt...

[snip] - I'm as multi-cultural as the next guy, but I'm afraid the
Espertinos are out of luck :)

Pity; in some seriousness the more I look into it the more it does seem that there is some sort of an overlap between people interested in strategy games and people interested in international communications via neutral languages. It certainly seems possible to do, too; the PHP-Nuke site at http://www.uk-2003.net/ is one example that does it (pulled up quickly courtesy of Google). I'm sure that for this particular site many of the languages that are already supported will have smaller audiences.

This may be because you are seeing the story's header. Does clicking the
"Read More" link help? Also noted is Eli's input about the Xconq logo.

I didn't really mean the length of the stories themselves, just how the portions that were displayed on the front page appeared.

Assuming that it's not the logo size (and it probably is as Eli
suggested) then this should be fixed (some tweaking may be required).

Is it possible to preserve the larger logo and still make it work? Perhaps a layout like:

Absolutely. It's really easy to do. The Xconq site currently does. Point
are Xconq related RSS feeds, by all means, do tell!

Excellent! AFAIK, this will be the first.

You could have written and said, "Coop, that is the ugliest color scheme
I have ever seen," and I would have about squealed that you gave such
honest feedback and changed them immediately.

While I certainly won't say that, I might argue toward using fewer colors (perhaps just one) for the sidebar boxes' borders. Either that or color them based upon some logical scheme (perhaps with the download and/or documentation boxes more obvious than the others). This is really another area where a UI expert's opinions would be good.

You can try this at home! Simply send a "one liner" that says, "Coop,
that is the ugliest color scheme I have ever seen" and see what happens!

There's unfortunately been a lot of competition for the ugliest color scheme I've ever seen... I'll spare you the stories, though.

Thanks!

You're welcome. Thanks for your work on the site.