Re: New Home for Xconq Project?

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 02:05, Eric McDonald wrote:
> Hello Xconquerors,

Hi, Eric!

>    Over the past few months I have had some discussions with various
> people about whether the Xconq project should be moved to a new host.

Yeah.

[snip]

>    Some of the suggestions for an alternative home have been Sourceforge
> and Savannah (which is hosted by the Free Software Foundation). I have
> looked into Savannah and it seems like it would get the job done. A
> number of people have been chomping at the bit to get Xconq moved to
> Sourceforge; I suppose I should investigate that more deeply in the near
> future.

In my view, moving the Xconq code trees to Savannah or SourceForge provides
the following advantages:

   1) Higher visibility. When I look for an application to suit my needs I'll
go to SourceForge and other high profile repositories to find it. The truth
is that people subconsciously will partly choose a project partly based on
how "together" the game's site looks.

  2) It gives we, the developers, the power to modify access permissions to
the source trees

  3) Better bug tracking/Support requests: this reduces the developer's
workload trying to keep track of bugs and feature requests. May also serve as
a documentation point for modifications (supplementing CVS documentation)

Note that I am not advocating SourceForge over Savannah, the key is to have a
central development area where we have the capabilities listed above.

>    What I would like to know is: should Xconq move to a better site? If
> yes, then why? If not, then why not? Also what are the preferences for a
> new host site, and why?

I certainly think so. You know, when people search for "strategy game" at
Savannah or SourceForge, Xconq ought to be right up there because it's just
about the best thing going for this genre of software. Xconq has the
"where-with-all" to play with the big boys and I believe it should.

>    Stan, if you are reading this, I would be curious if moving to a new
> host is an action that you would approve of.

Personally, I feel this really boils down to Stan's decision. He's the creator
of Xconq. If Stan give the green light then okay. If not, then not. I respect
his discretion.

-Coop