Re: New Home for Xconq Project?

Hi Coop,

D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:
What would happen if we went to SourceForge or Savannah for "eyballs" and pointed to the Xconq.org or RedHat site for a CVS backup?

I think that, in the case of Sourceforge, it would fit closer to their [Sourceforge's] philosophy if we, at least, made files available for download on their mirrors (via their File Release System). As far as CVS goes, I don't know. I think we should try their CVS server first. If it doesn't prove reliable, then we can use a CVS server elsewhere (xconq.org, perhaps).

It's trivial for me to mirror the xconq.org server with the source repository's server.

As long as it isn't against their policy and doesn't hog too much bandwidth, I think it would be good to have a CVS mirror. When we get to that point, I would say to go for it.

Obviously, this isn't an "automatic failover" solution but would it provide a good compromise?

Well, this gives redundancy from an end user standpoint. As a developer, if the main repository is inaccessible, then I am still stuck with waiting for it to come back before I can commit changes. Any changes committed to a "mirror repository" would have to be synchronized/committed to the main server later. Even if such a thing is a current technical possibility, it would seem that information pertaining to the original committer, original commit date, original commit messages, etc... would be lost.

  Regards,