Isometric Terrain

It's been a while since I checked out the isometric
terrain feature and it looks spectacular.  Has it
always looked this good or is this the result of
Matthew's improvements?  A couple questions:

Is there any support for elevation and making certain
hexes higher than others?  I didn't notice but it
could have been that the games I was playing didn't
have any elevation data.

What image does it call for iso terrain?  In Opal, it
defaults to the base color and I'd like to fix this.