RE: JavaScript

Time to put in my $0.02 worth.

As you may have seen from the past,  we have been actively using javascript
within XML/XSL for a year.  There is a VERY important distinction to make
with the inclusion of javascript within XSL - whether or not the stylesheet
is applied server side or client side.

SERVER SIDE:

If the XSL is SS,  the inclusion of document-critical information within
comments cannot be acceptable.  A comment, by most mark up rule definition,
is an extraneous piece of character data which the parser may ignore without
affecting the parsing of of the document in any way.  Therefore, anything
within a comment should be able to be discarded without losing display or
context semantics.

CLIENT SIDE:

The role of the comment is very clear.  It simply prevents the JS from being
displayed as text in non-JS aware browsers.  Are we talking XML/XSL parsing
in browsers that do not recognize JS?  There are no such browsers.
Therefore, one could argue that the comments *should* not be needed within a
stylesheet being parsed Client side.

Duane Nickull
XML Global
http://www.xmlglobal.com