Ignore childs

Hello,

I would be so grateful if you could help me.

I have the following XML file:

   <section>
     <title>This is the title with the acronym
             <def-acronym>
                 <acronym>XML</acronym>
                 <expansion>eXtensible Markup Language</expansion>
             </def-acronym>
     </title>
     <par>Content of the section</par>
   </section>

And I want this output:

    This is the title with the acronym XML

I am writing the style sheet with

    <xsl:value-of select="title"/>

And I get:

This is the title with the acronym
XML
eXtensible Markup Language

I do not want the expansion but I don't want the title in more than one
lines because this is the parameter for a javascript function and it
says "unterminated string constant".  I need it in the same line.

Any suggestions?  Thank you.

  Marta Lobato.