Re: Disable Output Escaping - really useful

	>Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:47:39 GMT
	>From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
	>Subject: Re: Disable Output Escaping - really useful

	>> Anyone know a way of doing this without disable-output-escaping?
Is using
	>> disable-output-escaping like this a bit of a hack?

	>Any use of disable-output-encoding is _always_ a hack.

	>In a few situations it is useful (I have used it sometimes in my
sheets)
	>but it is _always_ a bad idea, and means that your output tree will
	>not work as expected unless it is going to be reparsed, usually
	>it is only needed to overcome unfortunate markup in the input
document
	>(like useful structure being hidden in a CDATA section).

	Can you explain what "your output tree will not work as expected
unless it is going to be reparsed" means?

	>What you want to do is select every 5th node, and put that node and
its
	>four next siblings into a tr node.
	>so (untested)
	>
	><xsl:for-each select="item[position() mod 5 = 1]">
	>  <xsl:apply-templates
	>     select=".|following-siblings::item[position() &lt; 5]"/>
	><xsl:for-each>

	Thanks, this works with a small modification ("sibling" not
"siblings"). I have to say that I would never have been able to come up with
the syntax ".|following-siblings::item[position() &lt; 5]" by myself.

	What about the DOCTYPE issue when XT wouldn't output one? Is there a
non-hack solution to that?