RE: xsl:if and xsl:when

><xsl:when test="contains (@obj.id,'../packet/illust')">
>
>This is testing if the current element has an obj.id that contains that
>string as a substring of the attribute value, so it is true
>on <image obj.id="xxxx../packet/illustyyy'> and false on <image/> I
>suspect that isn't what you want but perhaps it is?

You are right that is not what I wanted but, I just tried

<xsl:when test="contains (@reference,'.../graphics/gif/DSRbanner.gif')">

and it worked.  You are the man!  my mistake was that I was testing for
something that
was not there.

This is my xml

.... (ommited code)

<illust secur.const="SPECIAL" poc.agency="BTG"	poc.orgcode="RAR"
poc.author="Edward Medina"
	  poc.phone="(813)-288-0333" poc.email="emedina@btg.com"
	  obj.cutdate="February 22, 2000" obj.id="1"
	  level="1" >
					<image
reference=".../graphics/gif/DSRbanner.gif">

					 </image>
	</illust>
.... (ommited code)

Thank you!  I thought I had tried that before, but apparently not.  It
works.

I also want to thank all the other people who tried to help me.  I've
learned a little
today, and there is room for improvement.  Thanks again!

Eddy