Re: XSL FO conformance

At 18:02 2000 04 05 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>In the March 27th draft, section 8 discusses conformance; for
>formatting objects, Appendix B says whether or not an FO is "basic" or
>"extended". But Appendix C does not do the same for properties. Is
>there a list somewhere which I have missed?

See "C.3 Property Table: Part II", the fifth column of that table.

>Also on conformance:
>
>a) why is <table-footer> extended, but
>not the other?

The OASIS (nee SGML Open) Exchange Table Model [1] that is one of the
most widely implemented ones includes table headers but not table
footers.  So in this case, it might not be "able to implement"
issues, but "already deployed software, interfaces, documents,
and user-education" issues that put table-footer in the extended
category.  Certainly, that is my position.

>b) I fear I miss an explanation of how to do lists in "basic" mode,
>without <list-item-label>. can anyone expound?

Table B5 says (for list-item-label) "extended; fallback: labels that
break across multiple lines are treated as separate blocks before
list-item-body."  I believe that is intended to mean that *some*
implementation of list-item-label (i.e., that described as the fallback)
must be implemented in all (e.g., basic) implementations, but the full
semantic (that also handles multi-line labels) is an extended feature.

paul

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/html/a503.htm