RE: Netscape 6 lack of XSL support

| > He further adds, "It seems obvious to me that for anyone who wants to
| deploy XML in production mode right now, XML + CSS is the way to go."
|
| I think these are absurd statements! CSS is far too limited to use for
| presenting XML documents. It has zero transformation capabilities! Without
| the "content" feature of CSS2 it cannot add new content to the output. It
| can't sort. It can't reorder content. I've got to wonder if Tim Bray
really
| said that last line, "XML + CSS is the way to go".

Strong stuff! But if you quote Tim's whole sentence it does make sense
because there isn't sufficient support for XSL for content providers to make
use of it "right now" which is what he's talking about - rather than the
future - which I guess is what you are more concerned with (along with most
of the people interested in XSL), including me!

Within a very few months things will be different, and I'm sure that XSL
solutions will then be "the way to go" for deployed solutions.

I've just done a comprehensive search for XSL support for serious
application development (in my case this means C++ based) and there is
hardly anything around which can be used for commercial applications. Most
is either not yet functional enough (CUEsoft, T.I.M.E. Lux, Oracle),
non-distributable (eg MSXML), or crashes/expensive (no names!). There are
non-commercial options such as the Mozilla XSLT processor - Transformiix
(which is pretty functional), and the Apache XSLT processor - Xalan - which
is not ready yet.

I'm discounting Java solutions as they are inappropriate for my
applications, as well as being dog slow!

Mark