Re: Using XSLT for complicated database mapping

Jeff,

| > I have two relational databases, based on complicated schemas. The
| > organization of data within each is completely different, but logically it
| > is possible to map data from one database to another.
|
| I was hoping that someone really knowledgable would answer this,

XSLT is designed to handle XML to XML transformations.

That means that this gentleman's question of:

(Relational-Schema-1)---->(Relational-Schema-2)

Needs to be understood as:

(Query )                                    (Insert)
( over )-->XML1-->[XSLT Transform]-->XML2-->( into )
(RSch-1)                                    (RSch-2)
    Step 1           Step 2              Step 3

XSLT helps with Step 2, the XML1-->XML2 transformation.

You need a technology like the free Oracle XML SQL Utility
(or equivalent bi-directional SQL<-->XML capability)
to handle Step1 and Step3, in combination with XSLT for Step2.

XSLT is definitely up to the task for Step 2.