problem converting xml into html

I have some xml and xsl that I would like to combine to produce an html file.
When I use the microsoft.xmldom transformNode() method, and then write the
resultant html string to a file, the file displays correctly in a browser.
However, when I use lotusxsl to combine the xml and xsl, and write the resultant
html string to a file, the html can not be viewed in a browser.  To make things
more complicated, when I view the source of the html file, the html code appears
to be there.  I have included some sample code.  Does anybody have any idea why
this is happening?  I am pretty sure that I am missing something fairly small
but important.

xml:

<SampleML>
     <Data>