Re: Microsot parser is OK (Was: Re: Copyright symbol in FOP)

> > <!ENTITY amp    "&#38;">
> > <!ENTITY lt     "&#60;">
> >
> > What is strange is that neither XT nor Saxon reported that error.
> > Is it a conformant behaviour?
> >
> It depends of course on what XML parser you are using with XT or Saxon, not
> on the XSLT processor itself.

Sure. So the one wired into Instant Saxon is probably faulty; is it XP or
something else?

> I suspect an XML parser should report this as an error.

Definitely so. This kind of expression is blamed as non-well-formed n the XML
Spec, and parsers (even non-validating ones) are obliged to report deviations
from well-formedness in the whole document including the DTD.

> The XML version of the XML specification itself, however, contains
> the line
>
> <!ENTITY lt     "<">
>
> and most parsers accept it: but IE5 doesn't. For once I think MS
> are in the right.

The XML version of the XML specification contains more bugs (I have had to
correct a couple of them when rendering it to XSL FO; see
www.renderx.com/xmlspec.html). It is quite natural: I presume the parsers
weren't mature enough when the spec was issued, and there was no tool available
for checking it through. However, I was used to the idea that most people are
sticking to the spec, and MS feels free to amend it (that's why my spontaneous
reaction was to consider it a Microsoft bug). In this case, I see the exact
contrary: no one really cares to respect the spec except Microsoft. Shame on
other parser developers ;-).

(I feel I am drifting off the topic, so I stop ;-)).

Best regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX