Re: Encoding

At 02:09 PM 04/27/2000 -0600, Mike Brown wrote:
>True, the HTML DTDs require that href attribute values be URIs, but URL
>encoding is not trivial. How is the XSLT processor supposed to know
>which reserved characters in a given URI are being used for their reserved
>purpose and which ones need to be escaped?

Indeed. For that matter, how is an XSLT processor to know that an arbitrary
string (attribute value, #PCDATA, whatever) is even a URI to begin with?
The "this is a URI" meaning is not inherent in any XML vocabulary (except,
of course, XHTML). Someday no doubt an XLink-aware XSLT processor will come
along and "know" that any value of an xlink:href attribute must be a URI.
Until then, I think it's a case of caveat author.